Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Spring!

I went to Greenmarket in Union Square, today. For the first time this season, the produce is coming in! There was asparagus, and ramps, and a variety of young greens. Spinach, of course, but also tiny kale and collards, and others.

If you don't know what ramps are - as I didn't a few years ago - they're often called wild leeks. That's not strictly it, but they are related to leeks, onions and garlic. and have a lovely light oniony taste.

Today for dinner I sauteed asparagus and ramps, and added some leftover steak from a restaurant dinner the other night. That and my bread made a lovely dinner for the two of us.

I've also been starting to buy some of our meat there. Today I got two stewing hens, which are simmering away in a slow cooker along with the carcase of a chicken we ate last week. I may use some of the broth to make asparagus soup, and we'll have cooked chicken for salads and such, for lunches. It's getting warm enough that I'll be able to eat outside in parks, when I'm at a client without a lunchroom, and I'd prefer to carry lunch. Salads fit the bill, and are starting to sound very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Comments are moderated, to prevent spam. It will appear on the blog as soon as I can get to it.